Saturday, November 15, 2014

19 AND COUNTING

     No, I am not talking about the Dugger family on TV.  That's how many Ugandian homes I have been to since my arrival. I have appointments for 18 more, which should work out just fine,  as my time here is 1/2 over.
     I came to Uganda with the hopes that 20 mamas would invite me into their homes, so obviously I am thrilled, as well as overwhelmed that every single mama has invited me to their home. I currently have 20 hours of tape recorded conversations and 35 pages of extensive notes. I have listened to mamas rejoice at the blessings of twins, despite the poverty conditions.  I have cried with mamas as they recall rebels coming to kill family members. I have laughed with mamas telling a funny childhood moment. I have praised the Lord along side of a mama's telling her salvation moments. I have held mamas hands as they hang on to incredible strength recounting a story of the loss of a child. I have heard stories of rape and abuse and multiple wives, as well as romance and chickens and goats as a doweries. I have sat on the dirt floor and played footies with diaperless toddlers.  I have listened to young children tell me about the pictures in the book I just gave them. I have felt the overwhelming gratitude they feel because one of their children was a Compassion International child.(anyone have a child from Jinja,  Uganda hanging on their fridge? I have been welcomed into each of these homes with so much love.  Really, one mama to another, so different,  and yet so much the same.
     The most difficult part has been......the want to FEED ME SO MUCH.  I think I said earlier that I have kind if fibbed a bit and mislead them to believe I am a vegetarian.  It just broke my heart after the first couple of homes to think they spent their precious little money buying meat, when I KNOW, just basic school fees are a struggle.  So I am being fed (in large quantities I might add), very traditional,  very local ,dishes prepared with much love. How do you say no to that, even when you are full? There are some days I go to 2 mamas homes! I have stopped cooking much here on my own, reserving all the space in my ever increasing waist..to meals with them.
     There is much more work for the mamas because I am the only volunteer.  I know the kids miss having a slew of Aunties around. December will be better, in that respect, for Amani. I try to rotate around instead of just staying in the boys cottage.   Storytime 2 X a day is a big success, swimming 3 to 4 times a week with 1 or 2 kids, and just chasing the kids around.....fill the hours I'm not eating....I mean..visiting...with the mamas.
     I'll tell you more about the kids next time....although it's harder to write the blog this year, because for the most part, I feel I could just repost an old one, and it would be the same same.  Just a year later.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment