Tuesday, November 4, 2014

THE MAMA'S STORIES

One of the  exciting reasons I returned to Amani  was to get together individually with  the Ugandian Mama's to have them tell me a story to record. (Would LOVE to put them together in a book....we shall see  if that's possible  later). After being here for 2 months last year and becoming loved as Mama Sweetie, towards the end of my time here, they were trusting and respecting me enough to be more  open about their lives. These  are proud, resilient women.  They don't complain about their lives or whine about their circumstances.  After I got home, for awhile, I felt guilty for not haven taking more time to LISTEN. It was only after a while that I came to believe, they were not ready to  speak their hearts until we had truly become friends. So I wanted to return, to really listen this time .

The Mama's are  as excited as I am.  I have 3 hours off every afternoon before it is dinner time/bedtime and I asked to meet together individually  during that time. Quickly we put together a calendar of  my time here so they could decide their  days off (12 hour days, 3 on, 3off). I have the amazing privilege to be invited to their homes. I am tape recording their voices and taking notes as they tell their story.

I cannot wait to share the  stories with  you, and the experience of  being their guest, or even just the b o d a  b o d a  ride there. Yesterday, traveling to a home about 20 minutes away, was like watching an African documentary pass me by.  I know for all the nonUgandinians here, it is the norm, but even for me, the world traveler, I am still in awe that I am in AFRICA  !!!!!!

Grace grew up in Northeastern Ugandia, with hostile nomad cattle tribes that would come  by force and pillage and kill those  in her village. Betty was an orphan  street child at the  age of 4.

And now they are amazing loving Mama's here at Amani.  They  are so grateful and happy to have  this job.

Amani has gone through some recent struggles with a few disgruntled volunteers.  (First time in 11 years it has been like this.) I personally think Americans either  have never  seen poverty like this, or they just  think they can  come  and change the world in their short stay. But I feel the truth is.....we need to just come as a volunteer and love on Ugandia,  show Christ in our ACTIONS, and just accept the  fact we really cannot do anything about the severe poverty here. Nor do they really expect us to. I think they just want to be loved and respected.  So to the volunteers who leave here disillusioned at the running of Amani.....I say......are YOU willing to leave the  comforts of our  cushy homes, bring our families here.....to do  a better job than the current director s?  I think not.

AND the  truth  is, while the  condition s here at Amani may not be perfect......both the Mama's I have thus far interviewed,  said it would have  been like heaven to  be here when they were a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment