Tuesday, October 8, 2013

OUR DAY

Well, having been here a week now, and having learned the names of the 16 boys in my cottage, I feel ready to share what my typical day is like, and to show off my boys.
The roosters begin to crow at 5:45, but because of all the years of Dominican training of sleeping thru the crowing...I.am able to sleep until 7. I shower, make a cup of tea, and do devotions and make breakfast. I will discuss food in a later post.
I leave the volunteer cottage (directly above the children's cottages (or rooms really....same building) (which you can see in the background of the huge group picture that was taken on the day of their huge 10th anniversary celebration.....all those pictured are here now, or have been in the past..and are now adopted out or reunited) at 8:45.
I usually start by reading for 1/2 hour to the kids. I so wish I had brought children's books to read, as the few that are there I've either already read a dozen times, or they are missing pages. But never the less, I probably mind more than the kids, who just clamor to take turns on my lap while I read. Then we just play on the floor with the FEW toys they have (featured in a future blog showcasing the cottage) until snack time.
At 10 we take off the clothes of the 10 younger kids down to their diaper, and they drink HOT porridge.
Change diapers (42 today) and then they go sit on the potty chairs, where it appears most caca (poop), then get diapers and clothes back on to go outside and play. (will show outside stuff another time...its really nice).
About 1 1/2 hours out running and playing, then in for lunch.
Take clothes off again, eat, potty chairs, new diapers, NAP.
I do have 5 boys who are 5 and they go to preschool here during most of the above, but come back for lunch.
At 1 they ALL nap until 3, which then I am off for lunchbreak. (yes you can be jealous of a 2 hour break, where lunch is prepared, and plenty of time for a walk.)
At 3 they get up, diapers changed, snack, then out to play until dinner.
2 times a week I take a child for an "outing" of my choice (with another volunteer and child) during this later afternoon time. Today we took two boys on a mile walk to town to get ice cream (took about an hour to walk there), had ice cream and then put them in the AWESOME DOUBLE STROLLER, and came back in time for dinner.
Eat, diapers, in bed at 7, but I leave at 6.
And then start again tomorrow.
The days FLY by. Really. So now I'll post the boys in my care (along with the two mommas. ) I will post a few girls pictures, but I have yet to really spend much time with them. I have held back some of the cute dresses Jean and Juanita made, until I find a special someone to give them too. Maybe on one of my outing days.
So its my pleasure and blessing to introduce: Matthew, Elijah, Jonah, Simon, Godfrey, Fred, Joel, Noah, Salim, Patrick, Philip, Keith, Charlie, Brian, ..and 2 others I can't think of at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment