Saturday, October 12, 2013

WEEKEND

     Yesterday I went with the other volunteers to Kampala. ( the capital city of Uganda, in the South Central part of the country, near the shores of Lake Victory, and  is about 3 hours from where I am staying in Jinja) There we shopped at outdoor markets for Ugandian made products. Several items seem to be a common thing. Here women make beads from paper strips and make them into beautiful necklaces, bracelets, and many other things. Baskets are also woven, wooden bowls carved, and bags, clothes, and accessories sewn. It was fun to just have a fun day out away from ABC.
     I had my first cup of coffee since arrival at 1000 Cups, a coffee shop specializing in coffee from many African countries.
     Today, Saturday, is our day to spend the morning helping with misc. projects around ABC. I helped chart weight and growth charts of the children here. Saturday afternoon, as well as the rest of the weekend is ours to do as we want. I wanted to visit another ministry I had heard about: H.E.A.L. Ministries (Hands Embracing All Lands), an outreach for abandoned and abused women who are trying to provide and still care for their children. They teach them a saleable craft, or to sew or garden, or to raise livestock. All the while, also providing free childcare, as well as temporary housing in emergency situations. WOW. BUT today, along with ALL the above, they offer a Bible Club of sorts to any child that comes. Every Saturday they get about 200 kids that wander over. These were very poor children. Heads mostly all shaven (a way to just eliminate issues), clothes that were mostly rags, little to no English skills  BUT praising the Lord and having the time of their life dancing, singing and hearing Bible Stories. Each child gets a hard boiled egg to eat as well. Again, a humbling experience.
     From there we walked home, stopped for an amazing pineapple lime smoothie and to purchase a new handbag at a little shop.
     I'm trying to walk about 4 miles a day.
     Starting next week, I may start schooling 2 six year olds for 1.5 hours in the morning, as well as teaching swimming lessons 3 afternoons a week, to the 5 oldest children here.
      Tomorrow morning I am taking one of the TWIN girls that is here to church with me. The new volunteer that arrived yesterday will take her sister. I think in the afternoon I may head to the pool, WITH NO KIDS, for an afternoon of Quiet Time. Unless it rains. It has been kind of rainy.
      All is well with my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment