Wednesday, November 13, 2013

A VISIT TO MAMA JOYCE

     One of the sweet Mamas from our cottage is Mama Joyce. She invited me over on Sunday afternoon, which was one of her days off. Another volunteer, Mariah, and I went on a 25 minute boda boda ride to get to her village.  We were greeted by many children that lived near her. Mama Joyce has 2 children and together they live with her mother. I'm pretty sure a sister and a coupla more kids live there as well.
     First thing, Mama Joyce introduced us to her children. It is a custom of her tribe for children to kneel when approaching elders. All the children knelt but her older son knelt and kissed my hand. His name is Trophy. Shamefully, I can't remember the other son or daughters name. (But we did have alot of fun.....and to be honest, sometimes I can't understand their names when they speak it, and after the third try I smile and say, "lets go play kids.")
      Secondly, we did the thing we have talked about for weeks. We exchanged dresses for the day. She and her mom dressed me in her traditional dress called a Gomez. Oddly, to my weight watcher mind, they put a very bulky layer UNDER the Gomez so that you have plenty of cabina. (butt) Then the outer layer of fabric. And Joyce then put on my dress.
      Thirdly, she then showed us around her garden, along with coffee bean trees and banana trees.
      Fourthly, I ooohhhed and aaahhed over the food preparation and her sisters who were cooking it. Later we ate a delicious traditional meal. I'd probably botch trying to tell you all that was served, so I will leave it at delicious. I do know she went out back and cut up a jackfruit for us to have for dessert.
      After a great time of dancing, laughing and just having nice conversation, Mariah and took a boda boda ride back before dark.
      I was blessed by Mama Joyce and her family.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment