Monday, November 11, 2013

THE MAMAS

     I don't exactly know how many Ugandian Mamas work at Amani, and I don't even to pretend to know  all their names, but I do love and admire all those I come in contact with. They work very hard here. The Mamas that are in the cottages work 12 hour shifts, 3 days on, three off. I know Mama Sarah, the cook , works every day, the others I'm not really sure of their hours. But I try to show them love and respect every time I see them. Don't tell my husband, but I'm known by the Mamas as Mama Sweetie.
     Now first off, I'm really just an Auntie here, so to be referred as a Mama just melts my heart. And second, the sweetie part comes from (and this is the part my dentist husband can't know) the fact that every single day that I have been here, I have made an effort to hug and kiss and give a sweetie (piece of candy) to every single mama here. From the Mamas who cook, to those that clean, to those in the office, and of course to the cottage Mamas....I find them each and every day and tell them they are loved and appreciated.
     So in return I have earned the title Mama Sweetie.
     I think my sweetie budget has been bigger than my food budget.
     The kids, who like any child love and crave the sweeties too, KNOW that my sweeties are only for the Mamas. They see me give them to the Mamas every day, and unlike most everything else that they say "Also me " to, they now repeat what I always say....
     "These are only for the Mamas because they work so hard". And they don't beg me for a sweetie.
     But they do beg me for a hug and a kiss, and a story.
     P.S. I have not had a single sweetie since I have been here.  Because, to be honest, I'm kind of in it for the hugs and the kisses and the stories too.

1 comment: