Sunday, November 17, 2013

OPRAH

     This past weekend, another volunteer, a staff member from Amani, and myself went to WildWaters Resort for a night. It is located on a private island IN THE MIDDLE of the Nile, accessible to us only by a small boat dodging the rapids.
     I felt like, if OPRAH came to Uganda, this is where she would stay. I felt, as we had this island all to ourselves, the staff there just for us, that we were part of the rich and famous. I imagined when we saw the helicopter landing pad, that she would fly to the island and land right there! I could imagine being wealthy as I lounged in the natural rock pool supplied with filtered water from the Nile. We were given the best of the 10 cottages, feet from the Nile Rapids, (almost deafening roars) .I'm sure Oprah would have had this cottage.  I took a bath out on the patio, yards away from the raging Nile rapids and decided that there could be no better solitude than that. As I ate a 5 course dinner, followed by what seemed minutes later, a wonderful breakfast and delicious lunch, I thought of Kings feasts and kind if wondered how they could keep eating so many rich foods.
     And as we bid goodbye to the amazing staff, and drove home, I regained my senses and remembered I am NOT rich and famous. And if these had been American prices, I could have not afforded such luxury. As we passed village after village,  watching little, nearly naked African children, happily play, I was reminded of my main purpose of being here was not to self indulge (although I treasure every memory of that night) but rather to just love on my little boys at Amani.
     HOWEVER, upon returning, it was like a light bulb went off in my heart. .....I may not be famous, but returning to 16 precious boys chanting...Auntie Cathy, Auntie Cathy......really made me smile and feel wanted and needed.
      And RICH? Oh!!!! I am so rich. The experiences, adventure and memories I hold are priceless.
   
     My God shall supply all your needs according to His RICHES in  glory by Christ Jesus.
      5 days before I leave Amani :(  :(   :(

No comments:

Post a Comment