Sunday, November 10, 2013

CHAPATI

     One of the things I discovered that the children here do not have a clue about is food production. Each day their food is brought to their cottage already prepared by Mama Sarah. They eat it right away. Nothing is ever left over or kept for the next meal. #1 They don't really realize where food comes from or how it is prepared. #2 I learned (when I tried to explain that the Jack o lantern rotted and I threw it away) that they hadn't really seen old rotten food.
     So as a "field trip" I took our cottage of 16 boys, plus some visiting nurses, on a walk to see Chapatis being made. Its like a fried bread that they LOVE, and get a piece of occasionally as a special treat. But had no idea on how it was made. We feasted on 15 of them while watching him roll them out and fry more. ( $..20 each) Then I brought some of the dough home, and we fried it ourselves with my 2 school students. (And added some Nutella that a past volunteer left.) I'm pretty sure we could put Mr. Chapati man out of business if we opened a Nutella Chapati stand.:-)
     I will need to go back to Weight Watchers when I return after this discovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment